Friday, May 06, 2005

Windows XP Upgrade

Finally...after a long and frustrating journey...I have windows XP installed on my home computer. What a hassle it has been. Not because of XP, but because of crappy computers. I had an old Compaq Presario operating at 400mhz with Windows 98. Even though I had almost 400 megabytes of ram...it was still slower than molasses. Recently I came across a CPU at a thrift store for $5. They didn't know if it worked...but for a 5 spot...hey, I would try it out. Unfortunately...it had a problem with it's 40 gig hard drive...which would crash without warning. Not good.

So...I replaced the primary drive from my old compaq...and stuck it in the new box. Then I had to do some reconfiguration...but eventually...it worked. When I had the compaq and was running windows 98...I could never get XP to install...as it would freeze up about half way through. Now...for whatever reason...I did a clean install last night. Presto...XP up and running. After that the biggest problem was connecting to the net. It took all this morning to get the settings where they would communicate correctly with my DSL modem. So...here I am...finally. Before this...I would usually post from my computer at my cousin's office...but it is now just as easy here. Now I will finish gutting out the old compaq for the cd/rw drive...the zip drive...and install the extra 40 gig hard drive as slave. Then add a gig of DDR ram and I should be good to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home