Thursday, May 26, 2005

Arroyo High School Event

I helped my cousin out today at Arroyo High School in the City of El Monte. We probably had about 500 teens and 25 teachers ask us about composting and water wise gardening. It was well attended and lasted several hours. I help my cousin out on these things to help pay back loans I have gotten from him in years past. It's OK though...as the material is necessary and needed.

Just for conversation...I noticed that the predomonate ethnicity of this high school was hispanic, followed closely by asain, white and then black. By far, the majority of students were hispanic. In fact, I saw maybe 8 white students and 5 black students all day. This demographic seems to be the status quo for public schools in the LA area. Although other schools have either a higher white or black percentage of students...still far less than the hispanic students as a whole.

Of course the reverse holds true for the private schools...or those located in the wealthy parts of LA. Here you find the majority of students to be white...usually followed by asain. Ahhh...the separation of the races based on economic class and location. The fragmentation of the United States into racially and economically divided zones has already begun...and California is leading the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home