Thursday, February 03, 2005

THE THIEF OF DREAMS - Chapter 3

It would take me several months to prepare my case. During this time, I still had the truck in which I had driven to Georgia the year before. A 1987 Mazda 4x4 with a black fiberglass topper. For those few months I was helping my friends out in Riverside County......I had my worldly possessions stored within the back of that truck. Everything that identified me was there. My certificates, passport, identifications and case files......the reports of which I had received. Military records....college records.....everything I owned was in that truck. I was assured by my friends that it would be safe....secure....not to worry, I was told. I had always kept the back double locked.....there were no windows and it was impossible to assertain what was stored within.

However, in the weeks leading up to what fate had in store, I had noticed strange people watching me from afar. Several times I had returned to their house to find the door ajar.....as if someone had been looking for something. To say I was suspicious would be an understatement. I would be ever more wary and cautious. It was then that fate took control again. I was not prepared for what lay ahead......again. I remember the incident well.....too well. It was to be the jumping point from the paper war.....to an attack on my identity, my property and my safety. It was if the responsible parties to the crime had wanted to wipe clean my identity...as if they knew what I had secured in the truck.

The night started like any other. I was later asked by my friends if I could pick up their daughter at an event.....as they were working. I did as they requested and retrieved her after practice. Upon my return to their office....it was rather late. They had an event planned and told me to park my truck in the front of their office.....and get it in the morning. They assured me that in the years that they had been there....there was never any problems.
Like the overly trusting fool I was....I believed what they had said was sincere. So we left....and I made sure my truck was locked all around. It would be the last time I would see it in that condition. Upon my return early the next day.....yes....it was gone. And with it my life. The Perris police sent out an officer to take the report. Officer "Sage" was the responding officer. I filled out the statement....he completed his report.

So it went for about 1 week. My friends let me drive one of their cars in the interim. They seemed highly apologetic about the ordeal. Of course......I was feeling the strain and stress of this latest setback. I was angry, upset that I could be so stupid. I was willing to chalk up the experience as just another car theft in the crime ridden southern California area. I guess that I had not suffered enough to satisfy whatever penance the heavens wanted. As it was though....I had the forsight to hide additional copies of my most important documents in a secure location...so all was not completely lost. I still had copies of the reports I had received from my source. The feeling of defeat was again creeping up on me. What would I have to do to satisfy fate and the heavens? I could not understand what was happening to me....why I was again made to carry such a burden. And all the while I still pained for my love.....so far away.....it seemed like a dream. And so it went.....

Then one day about a week later I received a call from my credit union saying that the truck had been recovered. I was told to call the Riverside Sheriffs Department....as they were the ones who found it. I discovered that it had been towed to the impound lot. Upon my arrival....I was shocked to see it in such good condition. The only damage was the ignition had been pulled out and.......the black fiberglass shell had been forcibly removed. All that was left in the empty bed....were a few leaves. I had obtained the recovery report and it seemed so strange...here was a custom 4x4 with fancy wheels....stereo and other nice things....but they were still there. Then I discovered it was recovered only 6 miles from where it was stolen. I got in the truck and it started right up. I drove it back to the office. By far though....the strangest was yet to come. I wanted to get to the bottom of this and prosecute whomever was responsible for the crime. I called the deputy who had recovered the vehicle.....this was his story.

The vehicle was being used to commit an armed robbery of a movie theater and that the manager had chased the 2 suspects. They were unable to get into the truck...so they left it....and some ill gotten cash. They fled on foot across the freeway and disappeared. They were identified as 2 young black males...dressed in gang attire. Of interest was the blue bandana tied onto the steering wheel. The next day I called officer "Sage" of the Perris PD...as he was the investigating officer. I was told that they were unable to find evidence....no latent fingerprints..nothing to identify the criminals, nor any witnesses. At this I decided to check myself...as I had seen a number of prints and other evidence. Sure enough, I looked under the seat and found the tool that was used to pop the ignition out....with a very readable full print on it. The bandana, which was on it when it was recovered...had numerous hairs in it. There were prints seemingly everywhere...and they were not mine. I knew that the police had taken prints, for under the seat....was a print duster....with dust still on it...of the type used by the police. I bagged up all the evidence I could find and took it to the Perris PD for their investigation. I was told it would be given to the detectives.

That was the last I heard from the Perris PD for nearly 2 months. During that time...I had assembled what documents I had left and filed the motion to reopen the case of my separation based on fraud. I has called Officer "Sage" numerous times....trying to find out what was going on. Each time he would try and avoid any discussion about the theft. And then.....no leads....no evidence...no anything! So it went for several weeks. After getting this stonewalling for those weeks.....I finally demanded that Officer "Sage" tell me what was really going on. He seemed somewhat afraid to tell me....and did not want to get involved. I pressured him some more. Then, to my surprise...he said he would tell me on the condition I would drop the whole thing....and leave well enough alone. With that...I was told that a government agency was involved with the theft. At first...he refused to tell me the agency.....but I told him I would file a complaint against him if he did not. I guess he did not want that and abruptly told me it was the "DEA". With that he said that he had already told me too much and did not want to hear from me again. He refused to talk to me anymore after that. The case seemed to be dead in the water.

I thought...why would the DEA be involved in this incident? I was not, nor have I ever been associated with illegal drug activity. What could possibly be so bad as to put that kind of fear into the investigating officer. I did not know for sure.....but I had my suspicions. Not satisfied with the apparent dead end....I decided to conduct my own investigation. The revelations of which would again shake my world and beliefs. It was becoming clear that in whatever way....the empire was somehow involved....for what purpose, or to what extent, I did not know. For I had something that the police did not have, or count on me having....a witness to the crime!

To be continued..............


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home