Friday, January 28, 2005

MY SOUL OF THE MOON Chapter 9

Though the ordeal had ended for the 2 friends....and they returned to their homes. I had another fate awaiting me. By the the weekend I had been told that I had to appear before a panel...to see if they were going to give me my graduation certificate. The director wasted no time acting on his words that had held me captive for so long. I was given less than 48 hours to prepare. Being a member of the AFGE union, I called them back at Los Angeles and asked for help. I was told they did not have the money to send anyone. I was told to call the National union in DC. They also told me that could send no one.....they did not have time. They told me to call the AFGE stewart on site. I did, unfortunately, he told me that their contract prohibited them from representing students. I felt abandoned and alone. I tried calling some attorneys.....and the few that were interested said they could not act in such short notice. I would need to get an extension before they could help. One of my Spanish instructors was so distraught that they would do this to me....she called up the National AFGE and pleaded with them to send someone down.....telling them that they could not let me go in there alone. It did little good, as they ignored her plea. It seemed my fate was sealed. That weekend was another cycle of torture. More pain that I was to endure....made even more profound by the absence of the one that I loved. She had no idea of what I was about face.

The time came Monday morning. I had donned my dress uniform, and departed for my appointment with destiny. In one last attempt at salvation.....I wrote a letter addressed to the panel asking for an extension of time, as no attorney could be there on such short notice, nor any union representative. When I entered the room there were 3 senior instructors who were to be my judge, jury and executioner. As they had tried to get started, I pulled the written statement from my folder.....and read it to them. I advised them that I was entitled to representation...and needed time to find one. They did not know what to do. One of them left the room, returning some minutes later. I was told to report to the academy director once again.

So here I was, back again in the same office I had been so many weeks ago. And like before, I was shaking...my eyes cast to the floor. He then entered the office, more angry then ever. He yelled at me as he paced the floor.....offended that I would dare challenge him and his authority. He was so angry...it seemed as if wanted to strike me in his rage. He slammed his fist on his desk. He told me over and over that it was "bullshit". He screamed that I had enough time to get someone.....and he was not going to allow it. I tried to protest.....I cited the Union charter which grants the rights.....it mattered little from him...as he was going to have his vengence. With that, he stood in front of me, pointed his finger at me and told me that under direct order of a superior officer, I was ordered to return to the panel, answer questions and cooperate....period. With that, I did as ordered and returned to the room....where for the next 3 hours.....I was grilled....alone, afraid and shattered. And once again.....I was forced to watch as the panel members passed around the the letters, poems and art I had composed for the one I loved. I thought....will the torment ever end? No one ever asked me about my emotional or physical health.....they could care a less. They did not care what happened at the pool.....their minds already set. They were just going through the motions of the setting.....affirming a conclusion which was never in doubt.

The next day....I had received their decision. No surprise here. They refused to release my graduation certificate and ordered my immediate departure back to Los Angeles. As I turned in my issued materials and signed out.....I stopped by the the office of one of the panel members and asked her how they could do this to me? She seemed to regret what they had to do. I told her that this "kangaroo court" was a sham......and I intented to file the appropriate paperwork for making me go through that inquisition alone. She looked at me as if to understand.....and told me...."you have to do, what you have to do". With that, I stormed out of her office, got into my truck.....and left on the 3,000 mile journey back......alone, embittered and depressed. With a tinge of irony....I had to pass within less that 80 miles of where "Anna" and her friend were stationed. I did not stop....though I could almost feel her presence at that time. It was very difficult not to make that left turn. But I knew what would probably happen if I did....and fate already had enough of my tears, blood and soul. It was longest 3,000 mile journey I ever had to make. So much time to ponder what happened....what fate had in store next.....what more torment?

To be continued. .......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home