Wednesday, March 30, 2005

The Minuteman Project

As you may have heard...the Minuteman Project is about a group of US citizens who are going to observe about a 20 mile stretch of Arizona border with Naco as the center point. Perhaps as mant as 1,200 people will show up whereas they will be split into teams of 4 to watch for illegal entry across the border. All sighting will be reported to the Border Patrol. This activity is not so much a vigilante action...as it is a protest and demonstration calling for more border control.

The US Border Patrol is overwhelmed and needs more manpower. What does Bush think will happen if thousands of people a day are streming across the border? His poor decision to cut back from 2,000 BP officers, to just 210, certainly will not fix the problem. I agree with the point the Minuteman Project is trying to get across. If the government will not protect us from this social and economic threat...then what choice do citizens have? Out founding fathers clearly stated that if government fails in it's constitutional duties to protect and serve the people...then the people have the right to change the government.
Of course...in the real world...the government would never allow itself to be changed in a meaningful way. Nor will it give it's citizens the power it has to protect the soveriegnty of the country. Remember what happened at the Civil War...Waco and Ruby Ridge?

I gave serious concern in joining the Minutman Project in their protest on the border. But...I got to thinking about just how close they were going to be to Douglas, Arizona...the place where my old flame lives and works. She is still there...and still working for the government I would imagine. My love for her would have probably made me do something irrational...like go to Douglas to try and see her. I could just see the news headlines already ..."Disgruntled former INS agent arrested for stalking a female CBP Officer". With the amount of media that is going to be down there...talk about tempting fate. And with my track record...the charges would pile up like interest on a credit card.

I would have really liked to join them there...but the risks were just too great.
My logical brain finally overcame my emotional one...and the prudent choice was made. I declined their offer to join them. I guess I know myself too well...for I would have been unable to concentrate on the work at hand..knowing that she was just a short distance from the group. I know damn well that I would try and look her up if I was there. I would try to let her know what has happened the last 13 years...and I would likely be knee deep in trouble when it was all over. Furthermore...I remembered the letter of apology I had sent her in February. I had told her I would not stalk or harass her...and I had to keep my word. So it is that I have kept my word...and will keep it...unless she says otherwise.

I am disappointed I was not able to make a difference in highlighting the important border issues...that I was unable to participate. But these are the sacrifices that one does for love. That very word...love...has more power than all of the governments, dictators and despots of the world. Yielded wisely...nothing can defeat it...for it will last forever. By the same token, however, it can also be the most devastating weapon ever...a weapon capable of destroying people and bringing down empires. A double edged sword...a fine line that we must walk...stray but a little either way...and forever changed your world will be. Will it be of good, or bad...that is not ours to say. We play the cards that are dealt us...and hope we have a winning hand. There's only one winner in poker...and a number of losers. The only thing I can hope for...is to keep trying to push on...and let the cards fall where they may.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home