Friday, March 25, 2005

Thrift Store Finds

Every now and then...I get lucky and find something good at the local thrift stores here in Long Beach. Well, last night was one of those times. I was going through the local Salvation Army when I saw 2...what appeared to be framed pictures in a basket. Upon closer inspection...I discovered that there were actually 2 hand drawn cartoon illustrations done in pencil. I really couldn't make out the signatures...and there was no date on either.

I paid the princely sum of $10 for the both of them and headed home. I examined them further and noticed both were professionally mounted and framed with matting and that both had same gallery sticker on the back.
The first drawing was of a cartoonish stork with a long neck and a small frog sitting on his bill. The words "Every problem can be looked in the eye" were written off to the right. I examined the signature closely and it appeared to say, Thurmen. I could find nothing under this name of the web.

The next drawing was larger and a panel showing a small, but happy bear, finding a small airplane...and eventually flying it. It consisted of 4 separate bear drawings within that panel. Written off to the right was the words "for the boys". And under his signature was written "flight to Finland". I studied this signature for some time when it finally dawned on me what it was. I punched in the name on Google...and bingo! I found a ton of information on this artist.

His name is Phil Mendez, and I discovered that he was the first black man to be hired for Disney Animation Studios back in 1969. He also worked for many years at Hanna-Barbera and had his own company. He is quite famous. I searched the web for some examples of his work and soon found some. The signatures were the same...so I knew these were from him. I did some more checking and discovered that he had an active email address. I wrote him about the drawings last night. Low and behold...today I get an email from him and he remembered both drawings and of whom they were given to. That's the provenence I was looking for...verification that they were authentic.

One of my best finds yet. Mr. Mendez has done work on a number of animated films over the years...Disney's animated Robin Hood, The secret of NIMH 2, and Clifford the Big Red Dog movie...to name a few. Each work is probably worth several hundred dollars at least...not a bad return on 10 bucks!

A happy Easter indeed.

1 Comments:

At 4:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Yeah Phil Mendez is my dad. My name is Marina. He's an amazing artist but an asshole of a father.
Just thought you should know that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home