Friday, February 18, 2005

Ghost Stories - Part 4

I just thought of another interesting little tale. This happened while I was still in the Air Force, but 2 years later....stationed in Guam. At the north end of the island of Guam (its' only about 30 miles long and 8 miles wide), is where what is left of the jungle is. The Air Force owned the whole north end.....and much of it was still primitive jungle. There was a huge bomb dump that I often worked in at night. There were no fenses, no lights and usually....no quick help. Poachers would come in all the time to shoot the tiny Guam "barking" deer. We always worked at night...because of our dogs. I explored a whole lot of that jungle for the 2 years I was stationed there. Old WW2 Japanese battle sites, wrecked vehicles and planes and an old abandoned runway the Japanese had built when they captured Guam.

But there was also some very creepy stuff out there too. You would see shadows....here strange noises......see strange lights. The dogs always knew before we did that something was up. So it was on a particularly dark night. I was checking out a bunker when my dog alerted. A very strong alert...as he pulled me down the dirt road. I then saw it. I first suspected it was wild boar...as there were many on the island. But as we got to about 50 feet to it...my dog refused to go further and tried to run back. I could see its shadowy outine, as it crossed the road in front of us. But then the most peculiar thing happened. As it neared the other side of the road to disappear back in to the jungle....it stood up on 2 legs...and walked upright into the jungle. Whoa....that was too strange. On it's 2 legs, it was at least as high as I was. I could not really tell what it was....but the dog wanted nothing to do with it. I was unable to get my flashlight on it in time. So to this day...it remains a mystery. Trust me....being alone in that jungle in the pitch dark of night, with nothing but a dog and a small machine gun at hand....would make you think twice. You could imagine how many japanese and american soldiers lost their lives there during WW2. Kinda reminded me of the scene in Heavy Metal....the animated movie classic....and the WW2 bomber crew who crashed on that jungle island.....only to be taken by the dead crews of time past.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home