Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Waiting for the FLSA

You might be curious to know what "FLSA" stands for. It is the acronym for Fair Labor Standards Act. A law that governs how overtime is paid....among other things. Well.....it seems that my short career with the INS had a slight benefit. The governement illegally put most of its' personnel in the wrong FLSA category....as exempt under that act.

Now they have to pay back all of the current and former INS employees who were working at the times given. That includes me...as I have already been recognized as a claimant. The government has been dragging this case out for years...so they wouldn't have to pay us the illegally withheld overtime. I won't get too much back....as I only was covered under about a year of the period. But I have a friend still with the INS who was covered for the whole time span.....1991 through 1998. He will probably receive in excess of $20,000. Now that is nice.

As usual....it is hurry up and wait.....typical government. Oh....I forgot to mention, that claimants will receive all the backpay owed, plus 100%. Now that is nice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home