Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Hurricane Katrina

I don't know about anyone else...but seeing what damage Katrina caused to the Gulf states...makes me glad I live in LA...if for no other reason than we can't get hurricanes...or blizzards. The water is too cold for hurricanes and the area is too warm for blizzards. I say an earthquake once every decade or so...is a good trade off. When you think about it...the LA area has been spared much of the natural misery that the rest of the country suffers.

New Orleans...what a mess...they might as well condemn the whole city and raze it to the ground. Proof that you should never build a city under sea level if it is by the coast. Biloxi, Mississippi is gone...I spent 3 months there in 1978 training in the Air Force. Jefferson Davis' house (The only Confederate president) gone like the wind. Too bad because it was amazing...full of unique civil war relics...now also gone.

By the way...I am sure that many people...here and abroad...noticed what racial group made up the bulk of the refugees in New Orleans. As is true in many large American cities...blacks are truly the disenfrancised and down-trodden masses. It is too bad it has to still be that way. It reminds me of the LA riots in 1992. There too it was the blacks who did most of the damage...looting....crime. More of the same disenfranchised masses...tired of government...big business...and newly arrived immigrants treating them as 3rd class citizens. Who can blame them.

I can't wait to see what this tragedy will cost the taxpayers. Between Katrina, Iraq, Afganistan and the Global War on Terror...every last penney is going to get squeezed...and hard.
I guess misery loves company. Thank God I don't have one of those big gas guzzling SUVs...suckers. My old Honda does just fine.

My sympathies to all who were effected by the hurricane...and to those whose lives were lost.

1 Comments:

At 3:31 PM, Blogger V.A. Jeffrey said...

I live in Oregon and when I look at the natural disasters that people in other states have to go through every year (terrible winters in the north and midwest, heatwaves in the desert states and back east and tornadoes and hurricanes down south) I get the feeling that we in the west are about due for somethin' quite terrible.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home