Wednesday, April 20, 2005

First good sunburn of the year.

Whoa...boy did I get a good sunburn today. Lobster red. Ouch.
I went down to several of the wrecking yards looking for parts for my prelude. The sun was bright and warm...bouncing off the miles of asphalt...relecting the heat. I was out there for quite some time...and I did find a few parts I needed. A fair day...though I don't know if the sunburn was worth the few parts I got.

If you have never been to one of the large wrecking yards in LA...you don't know what you are missing (lol). Acres and acres of junk cars to search through. Depending on where you go, admission is either $1 or $2. You bring your own tools and remove all parts yourself. You wouldn't believe how many guys drag their girlfriends and wives down to these things. I am sure they really love that.

You have to be fast though...parts are stripped off cars as soon as they get into the yard...and many are ony there for a week or less...before they are crushed. As usual...the good parts go first.
Still...it is alot cheaper than buying parts from the dealer...or parts store. A cheap way to kill off a day...so long as you don't buy too much. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff people leave in their cars when they junk them out. I have found a good deal of money, stereo and computer parts, and last year...an old thick scrapbook from about 1880. They let me have it free. Another thing I found was the sight off of a WW2 Navy gun from a warship. It weighed about 40 pounds. Another freebie...another Ebay item. Every now and then...you get lucky and find some "treasure". Every now and then indeed.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home