Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The "hackers" have been busy.

Another virus attack as the hackers continue their assault on my hard working computer. This time it was the W32/Rbot worm. This little beauty is a backdoor worm...designed to let the hacker have access to your computer! With this worm installed...the WinSys loads the virus definitions each time at bootup. It is used through the IRC. The hacker than can gain access to yur passwords, certain files and other proprietary information. Although most antiviral programs list the threat risk as low, it can be difficult to discover.

I mean...do you really want some stranger looking at your passwords...or dowloading sensitive information? I have been using the Microsoft Beta OneCare suite the last few days and it discovered the worm and placed it in quarantine. It was not able to repair the infected file however...so I will have to deal with that later.

It does make me wonder though...just who is trying to gain access to my computer? Oh sure...it could just be some vile hacker trying to steal passwords and account information. But...what if it is some nefarious government agency trying to get a peek of what I have. Just think of all of the flap recently over the Patriot Act, wiretapping and evesdropping on US citizens. I haven't exactly been a friend of the government the 14 years. Who is to know where these things are originating from? This is one thing that antiviral programs can't tell you yet...at least specifically.

Meanwhile...I'll just get ready for the next attack....and hope my software will stop it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home